An Overview of Drug Crimes in Phoenix
Drug crimes in Phoenix are incredibly serious and frightening situations drug crimes to be caught in. If you have been arrested and charged with a drug crime, you are facing a very complicated and uncertain process to regain your freedom, not to mention control over your life.
We have extensive experience defending clients facing drug crimes charges in Phoenix. We have also answered many questions relating to the various components of drug crime charges. If you find yourself accused of, or charged with any kind of drug crime in Phoenix, you should immediately seek out a competent, aggressive defense attorney to fight for your rights.
- Make sure you have consulted an attorney before you answer any questions, or say anything at all to authorities. Anything you tell them can be used against you in your case, and you cannot take back words you have already spoken once they leave your mouth.
Let’s take a look at some of the components of a drug crime charge in Phoenix…
Drug Crimes Threshold Amounts
It is essential to understand that Phoenix has some of the strictest drug laws on the books anywhere in the United States. This includes doling out mandatory prison sentences for what is called a threshold amount. The threshold amount varies for each drug, but to give you an idea here:
- For heroin, more than one gram can constitute mandatory prison time
- For methamphetamine and cocaine, more than nine grimes can constitute mandatory prison time
- For marijuana, more than two pounds can constitute mandatory prison time
In some cases, even amounts below the threshold can still result in prison time. However, thanks to compassionate laws like Proposition 200, some first time, non-violent drug offenders may be eligible for options other than mandatory prison time. The best way to know what your options are is to consult a dedicated Phoenix drug crimes defense attorney.
Drug Crimes Take Context Into Account
Certain locations are considered secure and/or sensitive where drug crimes are concerned. Therefore, where you are arrested with drugs in your possession can make a significant difference in your charges and sentencing.
- Drug crimes in Phoenix are considered more severe if you are arrested near or in a school zone, daycare center, military base or government building.
Additionally, your purpose for possessing drugs also makes a difference in how your case is treated. This includes whether or not you are eligible for Proposition 200.
- Simple possession of small amounts of most drugs may be treated less severely than other criminal drug offenses. More serious crimes include manufacturing drugs, possession with the intent to deliver for sale or use by others, and transporting drugs either in state or across state lines.
Finally, your sentence can be more severe if other charges you are facing are based on what you were doing while in possession, or under the influence of, drugs
- Many drug crimes are related to other crimes, including assault or theft. If your drug crime is related to another felony offense, especially a violent crime, then you will face penalties that are more severe than just drug crime penalties alone.
Drug Crimes Can be State or Federal Felony Charges
In Arizona before 1996 every drug case was treated as a felony. However, the passage of Prop 200 allows for some minor, non-violent offenses to be pleaded down to misdemeanors. Here are some things you should know about state versus federal drug crime charges in Phoenix:
- If you are trafficking drugs into Arizona, through Arizona or out of Arizona, you will be facing federal felony charges in addition to any applicable state charges
- If you are manufacturing drugs, like growing marijuana or making methamphetamine that will be trafficked out of Arizona, you will be facing federal felony charges in addition to any applicable state charges
- If you are in possession of drugs The Controlled Substances Act has designated especially dangerous, including Group 1 drugs like cocaine and heroin, you will be facing federal felony charges in addition to any applicable state charges
Phoenix Criminal Attorney is Your Phoenix Drug Crimes Defense Attorney
At Phoenix Criminal Attorney, we focus on providing experienced and knowledgeable drug crimes defense for the following offenses:
- Possession of Marijuana
- Possession of Methamphetamine
- Possession of Narcotic Drugs
- Possession of Dangerous Drugs
- Possession for Sale or Transport
We will not stop fighting for your rights by making sure that every possible legal option and defense strategy is available to you. If you are facing any kind of drug crime charge in Phoenix, contact us today for a private, no obligation consultation at 602-551-8092.