Phoenix has some of the strictest child molestation laws in the nation. The social stigma that comes with accusations of child molestation can utterly decimate your life both personally and professionally speaking for its entirety. According to Arizona Revised Statute A.R.S. 13-1410, child molestation occurs if someone:
- Intentionally or knowingly engages in, or causes a person to engage in, sexual contact, except sexual contact with the female breast, with a child under fifteen years of age. This includes both direct and indirect sexual touching, and it covers both a child touching an adult, as well as an adult touching a child.
If you have been charged with child molestation in Phoenix, it is essential to immediately consult with a reputable attorney to help defend you against these horrendous charges. You should also seek out a competent, aggressive defense attorney who has experience defending child molestation cases, and who will work diligently to fight for your rights.
Child Molestation Versus Sexual Conduct with a Child
It is important to understand that Phoenix classifies child molestation differently than sexual conduct with a child. Whereas child molestation involves sexual contact, touching etc, sexual conduct with a minor involves:
- Knowingly or intentionally having sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with any person who is under the age of 18 (A.R.S. 13-1405)
Whereas sexual conduct with a minor has different classifications depending on the age of the victim, sexual molestation crimes specifically deal with sexual contact with children younger than 15 years of age.
Penalties for Child Molestation in Phoenix
Child molestation crimes in Phoenix are a class 2 felony, and are punishable by:
- A sentence of between 10 and 24 years in prison, fines of up to $150,000 plus any civil liabilities you might incur, and very lengthy probation after you are released
If you have prior felony convictions, a judge can take those into account when determining your sentence. Also, if any aggravating factors are present , you can face a harsher sentence as well.
Additionally, you will be ordered to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life, which can negatively impact your:
- Career opportunities
- Professional affiliations or memberships
- Living situation geographically and socially speaking
- Overall social and societal participation
Why Choose Phoenix Criminal Attorney for your Child Molestation Defense in Phoenix?
Because we understand that even though we live in a society where you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, when accusations or charges of child molestation are involved, the polar opposite rules the court of public opinion. Even once exonerated, the stigma coming with child molestation accusations can plague a person for the rest of his or her life where the opinions of others are concerned.
We have extensive experience defending people from child molestation charges of all kinds. Furthermore, we will not stop fighting for your rights, by making sure that every possible legal option and defense strategy is available to you. If you are facing any kind of child molestation charge in Phoenix, no matter how severe, contact us today for a private, no obligation consultation at 602-551-8092.